Subject: NetBSD 3 SCSI broken
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/2006 13:51:08
Hello,

After many months of testing things when I've had spare time, I can now
say definitively that Quadra class machines (605, 650, 800) will
eventually lock up under heavy SCSI usage. This does not happen under
NetBSD 1.6.x.

I've tried several different kinds of SCSI drives, with and without
command queueing, syncronous and asyncronous, the same drives with 1.6 and
3, and I have two long term test machines which have significant uptime
with 1.6.x and can be locked up by cvs'ing src and pkgsrc at the same
time.

It's hard to believe that there are so few people out there that who
either never thrash their disks or who don't observe the same lockups. Or
perhaps they think they're isolated or something. Not sure, but it's
definitely repeatable, and I've tried four different machines with as many
different hard drives now.

Ideas, anyone?

John