Subject: Re: supported video cards
To: None <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/06/2006 13:33:01
thelarsons3@cox.net wrote:
> Is the list at /Ports/mac68k/info/info-2.html still accurate?  I assume the following means "not gonna work".
>
> macvid0 at nubus0 slot d: Radius PrecisionColor 24Xp
> macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x3eb -- Not installing interrupt routine.
> macvid0: 1152 x 882, monochrome
> macfb1 at macvid0
>
> Do video cards that require special drivers in MacOS need them to work in NetBSD?  Or can I forego installing them so I can make the Mac partition as small as possible?

Try it out, see what happens. Some cards, I think, need an interrupt
handler installed otherwise they freak out the machine. Figuring out the
interrupt handler for a card can be kind of a pain because it usually
requires disassembling the driver or ROM code.

Though, I think I may have even booted a machine with that very card.

If the card will boot MacOS without a driver, and then boot into NetBSD
completely, then it's probably fine.