Subject: very brief EDE review
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2006 15:58:27
Since I recently build a desktop environment (Equinox DE) for 68k, I
thought I'd give it a try.  I'd never heard of it before, nor had I
tried to use any DE on 68k, so it would be interested to see what kind
of performance I could get.  I'm on a 40MHz '040, so unless you're
overclocking, this is about the best we're going to see.

 From running "startx" (with a single aterm and the startede command) to
the time the desktop was fully rendered was just a bit under two
minutes.  Obviously Blackbox and IceWM are quicker, but they're only
window managers.

The look is a very clean Windows95-ish appearance, with a handy
hierachical file browser built into the "start" (actually labeled with
an "e" and your login name) menu.  As a result, I had no problem getting
around to key system components such as control panels and applications,
due to familiarity.  I've read that there are some themes available, but
I believe they're just variations on Windows - you can change the look a
bit, but not the feel.

I've used Gnome and KDE, but I'm no usability expert so I won't try to
draw any comparisons based on my 5 minutes of usage.  Also, I used those
others on faster machines, not on 68k.  Since EDE is built on FLTK (fast
light toolkit - implying that Qt and Gtk are slow and bloated) it might
be passably fast enough for use on low-end machines.  Probably not as
low at 68k boxen, though.  With just the one aterm running, menu
rollover effects couldn't keep up with the mouse.  It wasn't horribly
laggy, but you definitely noticed.

Nonetheless, I'd say give it a try just for fun.

Tim
--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org