Subject: Re: what is the best multiboot tool
To: Marc Coevoet <marcsje@fulladsl.be>
From: Marco Trillo <marco2z@arsystel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/2006 18:55:33
Hi,

That tool is for BIOS-based X86 PCs, so it has nothing to do with
macppc`s OpenFirmware or mac68k`s ROM ;-) .
Nevertheless it`s a good boot selector for i386.

68k Macintoshes ROM is very MacOS-ish, so the best way to "multi-
boot" NetBSD and MacOS is configuring the BSD/mac68k Booter to auto-
start when booting MacOS (in "System Folder : Startup Items") but
without using a timeout.
So to boot BSD, Command+B . To "boot" MacOS... Command+Q ;-) .

The above way may cause problems when booting BSD without disabling
MacOS extensions, so they must be removed of the "Extensions" folders
to boot safely. But this conflicts with our "multi-boot", since
probably we want some extensions in (like CD-ROM or printer drivers)
when using MacOS...

Of course if you don`t need any MacOS extension that way should work
fine...

Another way is creating a special bootable floppy, since the BSD/
mac68k Booter is only 104KiB sized and so we have about 1MiB of free
space (that should be enough room for a minimal System 7 although I
have not tested it).
So to boot BSD, insert the floppy and turn on the Mac :) .
To boot MacOS, turn on the Mac holding down the mouse button (to
eject the floppy).

BTW, we have the EMILE booter (http://emile.sourceforge.net/). Taking
a look at the changelog it seems to support NetBSD although in a
"beta" status.
Anybody have tried it ?

-- Marco

Marc Coevoet @ 24/01/2006, 18:33: