Subject: gcc 3.4.4
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2006 17:31:59
After over 28 hours, my Quadra managed to compile gcc 3.4.4 and spit out the binary package.  This will soon be available at my mini-archive.

One thing I've noticed, however.  It seems that multiple identical binaries have been produced.  For example, I have a cc, gcc, m68k--netbsdelff2.1-gcc, and m68k--netbsdelf2.1-gcc-3.4.4 that are of identical size.  There are a couple "sets" like this.  Why do I need these?  Wouldn't symlinks to a single binary work just as well?  I've never built gcc from source before, nor do I know much of the inner workings/design of compilers in general, so maybe I'm missing some practical reason this is done.  But it doesn't make much sense to me now.

Any light shed on this would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping that 3.4.4 will clear up some "internal compiler errors" I've been seeing when trying to build some packages with 3.3.3.  I have no idea if it will work any better, but it can't hurt to try.  It shouldn't be too hard to tell the build process to use an alternate toolchain - I hope.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim & Alethea