Subject: Re: booting ... "no init", no "init.bak" ???
To: Raw Power , Marco Trillo <toad@arsystel.com>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/2006 08:37:39
There is no way you should be getting "disk full" errors with a 1 gigabyte
hard drive.   How big are your partitions?

Personally, when I'm using a drive as small as one gigabyte, I create a 50M=
HFS (Mac) partition, a 20MB swap partition, and use the remainder of the
disk as a root partition.   Are you creating separate partitions for usr,
etcetera?

Don't even bother with sysinst.   On the 68k Macintosh, it's much easier to
use the Macintosh installer application.   If you're doing a fresh NetBSD
install, use this method:

Format your hard drive with Apple's hard drive setup utility.   Create thre=
partitions:  Macintosh (HFS), Unix Swap, and a Unix root partition.  Make
your Mac partition big enough for the system software and the NetBSD boot
application.  If your LCIII is not on an Appletalk network, make your Mac
partition big enough to store the NetBSD binary sets as well.

I forget the names of the applications that you will need, but you will nee=
a utility to format your swap and root partitions as BSD partitions, and
you'll need the installer application to read the binary sets and install
the OS into the root partition.  Both of these utilities can be downloaded
from the NetBSD FTP site.

So you will need to use the NetBSD format utility to format your A/UX root
and swap partitions to the BSD format.   Once that is done, double-click on
the installer application, select the binary sets that you want installed,
and click the ok button.  NetBSD will begin installing on your machine.

This is going to take a long time.  So be prepared to wait ten or more hour=
for the installation to complete.  It will take less time if you don't go
with a full install, or you install an earlier release of the operating
system.

If you do not have an FPU in your LCIII, go to Bruce's FTP site and downloa=
the softfloat builds.  I have 1.6.2 softfloat on my LCIII with the colorX
binary installed and it works wonderful.  Well, it was working wonderful...
I'm not doing too much with my LCIII at the moment.

Good Luck