Subject: Re: binary packages for mac68k
To: None <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/2006 20:25:59
At 11:41 Uhr -0500 5.1.2006, <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:
>What is the process for building the binary packages in the package system?

[...]

>There are still many packages that haven't been built for mac68k since the
>1.6 era.  Using a modern machine to cross-compile shouldn't take very long
>at all, so I imagine there's some other factor.

There is... pkgsrc is only wrapping the packages' own build systems, not
replacing them. Some of them may even support a cross-build, others don't
or even compile and run intermediate binaries during the build that have to
be treated differently on a cross-building machine.

Since we don't and cannot control that zoo of programs (unlike the NetBSD
distribution), cross-building the whole lot is extremely hard. On a fast
machine, emulating the target cpu may offer a way out, at least for
critical builds - Krister Walfridsson presented a paper on that at
EuroBSDCon 2004. Don't know if anything came of his proposal.

	hauke