Subject: Re: NetBSD 3 on SE/30 init not found
To: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@mac.com>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/2005 13:38:02
> From: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@mac.com>
> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:03:40 +0000
> To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
> Cc: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: NetBSD 3 on SE/30 init not found
>
> Hello William,
>
> I have read your messages and I decided to use 1.6.x instead of 3.0
> releases.
>
> Just one more question: should I use 1.6.2 or should I use netbsd-1-6
> last build (200512250000Z)?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Nuno Teixeira
>

> On 2005/12/24, at 22:23, William Duke wrote:
>
>> I just perused the NetBSD site for information about the 3.0
>> release that is
>> specific to the Macintosh 68k, and here's what I found:
>>
>> Changes to NetBSD/mac68k 3.0
>>
>> * Support to build with soft-float enabled. [jmmv 20040926]
>> * Non port specific changes that may affect port-mac68k.
>>
>> The only change specific to the Macintosh 68k, was support for
>> builds with
>> soft-float enabled.  But if you look at the changes by date, you
>> see this:
>>
>> September 2004
>> # mac68k
>> Support to build with soft-float enabled. [jmmv 20040926]
>>
>> So support to build with soft-float enabled, was added more than a
>> year ago.
>>
>> What I was really interested in, was progress on sysinst.  As you
>> know,
>> sysinst on the 68k Macintosh is terribly buggy, so I went looking for
>> changes to sysinst in release 3.0.   Here's what I found:
>>
>> # sysinst
>> Added Spanish language translation. [xtraeme 20050826]
>>
>> Huh?  Spanish language translation was added to a program that
>> still doesn't
>> work?  Where are the priorities here?  Now even the Spanish can
>> bitch about
>> sysinst not doing what it says it does. :(
>>
>> I really can't see any reason for anybody using a 68k Macintosh, to
>> upgrade
>> to NetBSD release 3.0.  If you want a color X server on your 68k
>> Macintosh,
>> you're gonna have to run the 1.6.x X11 binaries.  If you're going
>> to do
>> that, you may as well just stick with the full 1.6.x release of
>> NetBSD.
>>
>> From what I've been able to gather from a quick perusal of the
>> NetBSD site,
>> there's not much being offered to 68k users in general, let alone
>> the users
>> of the 68K Macintosh.
>>
>> Anyway, people gots to have choices, and choices gots to have
>> voices...
>> People are basically decent --- conventional wisdom would say.
>>
>> Ciao
>>

>>> From: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@mac.com>
>>> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:52:24 +0000
>>> To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
>>> Subject: NetBSD 3 on SE/30 init not found
>>>
>>> Hello to all,

> [...]

Don't go with 1.6.x just because I say so.  If you don't want or need color,
go with a newer release.  Especially if a newer release offers something
that you might want or need.

If color X windows is what you're after, you can install the 1.6.x binaries
with a 2.x.x kernel and base binaries.

Are you going to be doing anything "mission-critical" with your 68k
Macintosh?   Are you just looking for something to play/learn with?   If the
latter, I would definitely go with a newer release.   If you just want a
stable 68k Macintosh installation with color X windows, I'd suggest 1.6.2.