Subject: Re: NetBSD 3 on SE/30 init not found
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/2005 13:30:25
> From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:08:31 -0600
> To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: NetBSD 3 on SE/30 init not found
>
> William Duke wrote:
>>> From: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@mac.com>
>>> NetBSD 2.1 runs ok. Does anyone has this problem?
>>>

>> That's kind of funny; I installed 3.0 on a Q700 a couple of months ago and
>> got the same problem.
>>
>> init: not found
>> panic: no init
>>
>> Okay, so it's not really that funny, but it does give you an idea of the
>> progress that is being made on the 68k port.   Personally, I've settled on
>> 1.6.2 and really see no reason to install anything newer.
>>
>> In my opinion, anything newer than 1.6.x on a 68k machine, is just bloat. :)
>
> I like the 2.x series (which I've not had problems with myself) for the
> native threading.  Using 2.1 on two machines and 2.0.2 on another at the
> moment.

I started out with 2.0.2, then I moved up to 2.1.   I then attempted a
prerelease install of 3.0 which did not work so well.   I thought that I
would go back to 2.1 and just stick with that, but when I learned that
XColor supports 16bit color on the 68k Macintosh, I decided that I would
stick with 1.6.2.

I have 3.0 installed on my SGI Indy and I'm quite content with it.  This
kernel appears to recognize and use the 512KB secondary cache on the
processor board and performance, at least as far as compiling goes, seems to
be somewhat improved.  Although, this is largely subjective as I have
performed no tests to support this.

Looking at the new features available in the 3.0 release, I don't really see
anything that a 68k Macintosh user could take advantage of.

What I like most of all about 1.6.2, is that a full installation (with X11)
can be done in almost half the time it takes to install a newer release like
2.x or 3.0.   I think that's very important for an install that can take
several hours to complete.