Subject: Re: NetBSD 3 on SE/30 init not found
To: Nuno Teixeira , <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/2005 17:23:00
I just perused the NetBSD site for information about the 3.0 release that is
specific to the Macintosh 68k, and here's what I found:

Changes to NetBSD/mac68k 3.0

    * Support to build with soft-float enabled. [jmmv 20040926]
    * Non port specific changes that may affect port-mac68k.

The only change specific to the Macintosh 68k, was support for builds with
soft-float enabled.  But if you look at the changes by date, you see this:

September 2004
# mac68k
Support to build with soft-float enabled. [jmmv 20040926]

So support to build with soft-float enabled, was added more than a year ago.

What I was really interested in, was progress on sysinst.  As you know,
sysinst on the 68k Macintosh is terribly buggy, so I went looking for
changes to sysinst in release 3.0.   Here's what I found:

# sysinst
Added Spanish language translation. [xtraeme 20050826]

Huh?  Spanish language translation was added to a program that still doesn't
work?  Where are the priorities here?  Now even the Spanish can bitch about
sysinst not doing what it says it does. :(

I really can't see any reason for anybody using a 68k Macintosh, to upgrade
to NetBSD release 3.0.  If you want a color X server on your 68k Macintosh,
you're gonna have to run the 1.6.x X11 binaries.  If you're going to do
that, you may as well just stick with the full 1.6.x release of NetBSD.

From what I've been able to gather from a quick perusal of the NetBSD site,
there's not much being offered to 68k users in general, let alone the users
of the 68K Macintosh.

Anyway, people gots to have choices, and choices gots to have voices...
People are basically decent --- conventional wisdom would say.

Ciao