Subject: NetBSD 3 strangeness...
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/2005 12:50:18
Hi,

I have an Amiga 1200 with 256 megs of memory which has been stable for
years. Recently, I switched from NetBSD 1.6.2 to NetBSD 3.0 compiled at
the end of November. The system worked, but after running for more than
1/2 hour, launching new programs would start to dump core (already running
programs would continue to run fine). Compiles would fail, pine wouldn't
launch, and so on, but the system itself never crashed.

I thought that perhaps it was bad memory, but since the system's been so
solid for so many years, I tried moving back to 1.6.2 before playing with
the hardware. The system is now perfectly stable and happy with no
problems.

Is anyone else running either a Mac with 256 megs of memory, such as a
Quadra 950 or a Centris 610, with NetBSD 3? Does anyone else have any
other ideas about why I'd see this behaviour?

I also have an Amiga 4000 which runs NetBSD 3 with 128 megs of memory with
no problems.

Thanks,
John Klos
--
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
atrocities.  -Voltaire