Subject: Re: 3.0RC3 and current from 19/11 for mac68ksoftfloat
To: None <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org, wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/2005 15:23:07
Hi,

I spend my week doing C, C++, python, Perl, sh, etc programming so I don't
want to spend my freetime doing that.  I like lisp and it's way faster
on my 68k system then C since

- the basic level of compulation is very fast.
- the debugging is interactive
- I don't have to write as much since common lisp has so much built
in.

I use ECL and ecl compiles to C and produces a shared object if
you ask it, so, it can be made to go faster.

I spend my free time looking to network packets and how to discover
network intrusions and infections from the resulting packets.

Plenty of products do pattern matching but you have to know what
patterns to look for before you can match them :-).  I
play with both Ant Colony Optimizations
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~mdorigo/ACO/ACO.html
and Swarm techniques
http://dsp.jpl.nasa.gov/members/payman/swarm/
http://www.ieeeswarm.org/
http://icosystem.com/about_management.htm

to find these packets.  It's slow going, but, it's interesting
research.

cheers

bruce

p.s.  yes, the 68k mac is slow, but, I don't have to care about
using it, and, 99% of this work is speed limited by my thinking
and not by the CPU.  When I get some problem that the CPU
is the limiting factor then the home cluster of systems takes
over.