Subject: Re: 3.0RC3 and current from 19/11 for mac68ksoftfloat
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/2005 17:49:16
On December 1, 2005 04:09 am, you wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:25:02 -0500, William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> >Granted, just installing stuff to see if it will run on a 68k machine can
> > be fun for a while, but it does grow old.  I know that there are oodles
> > of network applications for the 68k Macintosh, like routing and guarding,
> > etc. What worthwhile applications are there for the 68k machines?
>
>    I've run the irssi and bitchx chat clients -- just for the fun of it,
> and for the OMG! reactions from the other participants when I tell them
> about it. :-) Those clients work quite well, by the way.

I haven't yet installed an IRC client on my 68k machines; I don't really get
too caught up in the whole chat thing.  Personally, I find online chat
becomes really rather annoying.  Especially the instant messengers like MSN,
AIM, etc.

I dunno, I just find that your "contacts" really only want to chat when
 you're in the middle of doing something else.  But then, I suppose that if
 you weren't already doing something, you wouldn't be sitting at your
 computer.  I guess I kind of view it as having the phone ring while you're
 using the toilet or something.  You know, stuff that you just don't want to
 interupt.

Although, I do think that the IRC clients like BitchX look really cool when
they're running in an X window with a really slick window manager.  But, then
again, running a 68k machine *just* to display an IRC session is really kind
of here nor there...

I have this huge obsession with data.  I like data, and lots of it.  My
obsession with data is probably what really drives my interest in computers.
I like the fact that I can have huge amounts of data at my fingertips and
that I can access it at will.  I'm also a very curious person...  Kind of
like that long ago director of the FBI... What was his name?  (Prizes for the
person who knows the name of the FBI director that kept files on everybody...
Even before he became involved with the FBI...  Okay, so there aren't
actually any prizes, but you you do get the honour and distinction of being
"in the know.")  So I'm thinking that maybe I'll play with some of the
powerful database environments that are available for NetBSD.

How about it?  Anybody using their 68k Macintosh machines for database
application?  I mean, other than network stuff like DNS.