Subject: Re: 3.0RC3 and current from 19/11 for mac68ksoftfloat
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/2005 17:47:59
On November 30, 2005 11:10 pm, you wrote:
> > Granted, just installing stuff to see if it will run on a 68k machine can
> > be fun for a while, but it does grow old.  I know that there are oodles
> > of network applications for the 68k Macintosh, like routing and guarding,
> > etc. What worthwhile applications are there for the 68k machines?
>
> My 68K NetBSD Macs do AppleShare, printer services, power management
> services, DNS and proxy services. All appropriate tasks to their power
> level.

Actually, Bruce had mentioned that he had taken his PowerBook 540 on the road
with him.  I guess I just kind of assumed that he wouldn't be doing things
like Appleshare, printer services, powermanagement, DNS and proxy services on
a travelling notebook.  The applications that you describe are pretty much
those that require a computer to remain in one place.

I was really curious about the types of applications that one could run on
 68k Macintosh while on the road.   This is what I meant when I said that I
 hadn't yet found a worthwhile application for the 68k machines.

I fully realize that the 68k machines make excellent domain name servers,
proxies, web servers, routers (well, maybe not routers -- unless your network
is 10Mb), and even email clients, but the overwhelming majority of these
applications are not well suited to use on the road.  Although, I suppose,
for a terminal, the portable 68k machines can be as good as any.