Subject: threads, when upgrading 1.6.x -> 2.x
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2005 11:43:05
Salutations,
I took the plunge and upgraded my Q840 to 2.1.  My question relates to the gthread, pth, and pthread libraries that are installed in /usr/pkg/lib from the 1.6.2 days.  I'm not sure what gthread is, actually, but I know the others provide POSIX thread support if the system doesn't.  Will new apps I compile use the native threads, or these?  I haven't installed that many apps, so I could easily enough rebuild them if I had to.  Can I delete these other libraries and make use of the native ones?  Should I?  I have pthread and gthread libs in /usr/lib and /usr/local lib now.  I'd like to reduce dependence on extraneous stuff going forward.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim & Alethea