Subject: Re: 2.1 softfloat and color X on an LCIII
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/2005 19:21:23
William Duke wrote:
>>Really?  I thought the color X server only supported 8-bit.  And simply
>>setting the monitor to thousands of colors give reverse video on the
>>console (before launching X)?
>

> Yes, if you set your machine to 16bit (thousands of colors), NetBSD will
> boot with white text on a black background.  Plus, if you have X_color
> installed on your machine, the colors will display properly.  It's actually
> very cool!

Heh, for some reason, after all the talk I've heard about the odd colors
at 8-bit and advice to use grayscale instead, I thought it was limited
to 8-bit max!

The reverse video on the console is a nice side benefit, too.  My
machines are used that way more than in X, so in a way it's an even
bigger benefit than proper colors.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea