Subject: Re: 2.1 softfloat and color X on an LCIII
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/2005 10:13:38
> From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:24:00 -0600
> To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: 2.1 softfloat and color X on an LCIII
>
> William Duke wrote:
>> If you set your monitor bit-depth to thousands of colors (16bit), everything
>> displays properly.  Although, things do run a bit more slowly on the text
>> console, which, by the way, will now be white text on black background.
>
> Really?  I thought the color X server only supported 8-bit.  And simply
> setting the monitor to thousands of colors give reverse video on the
> console (before launching X)?

Yes, if you set your machine to 16bit (thousands of colors), NetBSD will
boot with white text on a black background.  Plus, if you have X_color
installed on your machine, the colors will display properly.  It's actually
very cool!

Combine 16bit color with a decent screen resolution, then run remote X
clients on more powerful machines, and your little 68k Mac is suddenly a
workhorse!