Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2005 09:38:32
Hey,

On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 06:32 PM, Chuck Silvers wrote:

>> sadly, netbsd 2.1 seems to have problems that don't get sorted out :( I
>> have a hard time getting my IIci to usable state and it is not yet
>> there :( It used to work fine with 1.6.2 though.
>>
>> So what you experience is a mix of possibly FPU problems and "2.x
>> effect". For the lack of fpu I would reccomend you to install the
>> fpu-less distribution that floats around that is thought for 040. I
>> don't know if it is still compiled to work on a 030 too, but it might
>> be
>> an interesting option.
>
> could you explain the "2.x effect"?
> what specific problems are you seeing?

unfortunately I am not able to be very specific, since many tests by wer
done some time ago and currently I have only 68k box for netbsd, a IIci.
I would have a II and a pb too, but they have little ram.

The times I tried it I experienced not better specified stability
problems and increased memory usage and system slowness. I gather other
people reported consistent memory leakages if the systems were let up
running for days, I can't confirm that.
More specifically, my IIci which has a netbsd installed of about 1-2
months old from a 2 series snapshot, seems to have network and/or disk
related problems. I can't essentially transfer a netbsd tarball,
uncompress it and untar it without having errors. Often the ftp'd file
is of the same size as the original, but has a wrong checksum (often:
read almost every second time, even when inside a LAN) and even once I
get a correct file it appears tha tuntarring it makes some files
corrupted. I can't be more specific, sorry.

I see that netbsd 2.1 is out, thus as soon as I have time I'll try to
install that one, so I have a "clean" base.

> I have a quadra 950 that boots netbsd just fine.  the scsi appears to
> work as well (though I don't use it much since I run with an NFS root).
> please try a 3.0 snapshot and see if you still have problems.
I will try when I have time, sure.
One of my problems is, IIRC, that I wanted to boot an external HD and I
wasn't even able to use it from the installer/booter. I know the scsi ID
trick and I used an external ID not used by the internal chain, but it
didn't help. I might anyway put the kernel in a macos partition and boot
it and see how far it goes.

Of course, for me personally, keyboard and video support would be cool.

> I also have a IIfx.  I'll make netbsd work on it eventually, but
> probably
> won't get to this very soon.

well I gather the IIfx has quite some similarities with the 950? But it
has a single 68030-style scsi controller.

-Riccardo