Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: Chuck Silvers , Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Victor E. <victore@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2005 23:27:34

>> well, there are scsi troubles, the q950 has two controllers and there
>> are device mapping problems. I wasn't ever get able to boot netbsd on my
>> quadra. I only could get linux 2.2 to  boot on it, nothing newer either
>> and even that with ridiculous performances.
>>
>> It would be nice to support the IIfx and the Q950, also because after
>> some "hardware death" that I am affected from those are the only two
>> reasonable powerful 68k macs that I have currently available, however I
>> think that the sparse coding efforts in mac68k (if someone still codes
>> at all) would be better spent in getting 2.1 into shape again before
>> "stretching" to new platforms.
>
> I have a quadra 950 that boots netbsd just fine.  the scsi appears to
> work as well (though I don't use it much since I run with an NFS root).
> please try a 3.0 snapshot and see if you still have problems.
>
> I also have a IIfx.  I'll make netbsd work on it eventually, but probably
> won't get to this very soon.

I have 2.1_RC6_softfloat installed and purring like a kitten on my LCIII.
I'm curious about your Q950 install, however.  I spent most of last night
searching the web for information on Q950 installs, and couldn't find much
good news.

I found that people have had success running Linux on the 950, but I've
heard nothing but horror stories from the NetBSD camp.  I'm assuming that
your running your 950 via a serial console, as I haven't heard anything
about the IOP problem being fixed as of yet.