Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2005 09:32:59
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:14:00AM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday, October 25, 2005, at 08:07 AM, iMac wrote:
>
> >Is it just me or is the LCIII a really bad choice for running NetBSD?
>
> I have netbsd 1.4 running on my LC3.. but without X. FOr lack of ram and
> diskspace mainly :)
>
> >I have NetBSD 2.1_RC6 installed on my LCIII and everything seems to work
> >except for X windows.   What really has me concerned is the bootup
> >messages
> >though.   When I boot the LCIII into BSD, I get all sorts of weird
> >messages.
> >Here's a few paraphrased examples:
>
> sadly, netbsd 2.1 seems to have problems that don't get sorted out :( I
> have a hard time getting my IIci to usable state and it is not yet
> there :( It used to work fine with 1.6.2 though.
>
> So what you experience is a mix of possibly FPU problems and "2.x
> effect". For the lack of fpu I would reccomend you to install the
> fpu-less distribution that floats around that is thought for 040. I
> don't know if it is still compiled to work on a 030 too, but it might be
> an interesting option.

could you explain the "2.x effect"?
what specific problems are you seeing?

> >What about my Quadra 950, what are the odds of me getting NetBSD
> >running on
> >that machine?   I've read about the problems with the IOP's, and I
> >wouldn't
> >be too troubled with running from a terminal.   Are there any other
> >problems
> >with running NetBSD on a Q950 that could make installing on that
> >machine a
> >pain?
>
> well, there are scsi troubles, the q950 has two controllers and there
> are device mapping problems. I wasn't ever get able to boot netbsd on my
> quadra. I only could get linux 2.2 to  boot on it, nothing newer either
> and even that with ridiculous performances.
>
> It would be nice to support the IIfx and the Q950, also because after
> some "hardware death" that I am affected from those are the only two
> reasonable powerful 68k macs that I have currently available, however I
> think that the sparse coding efforts in mac68k (if someone still codes
> at all) would be better spent in getting 2.1 into shape again before
> "stretching" to new platforms.

I have a quadra 950 that boots netbsd just fine.  the scsi appears to
work as well (though I don't use it much since I run with an NFS root).
please try a 3.0 snapshot and see if you still have problems.

I also have a IIfx.  I'll make netbsd work on it eventually, but probably
won't get to this very soon.

-Chuck