Subject: Re: Okay, I give up...
To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/2005 21:03:14
At 13:08 Uhr -0500 30.10.2005, William Duke wrote:
>You're right.   The bottom line is that it *will* work. I just have to be
>a little more patient and figure out why it isn't working. Then I have to
>make the corrective actions.

That's the right spirit!  ;)

>Okay, I'm running DHCP on my router so I'm assuming that I'll have to
>disable DHCP service on my router in order to use it on a BSD machine. You
>can't run two different DHCP servers on the same subnet, right?

Right. Or rather, the servers won't mind, but the clients will show
interesting behaviour.

>Now, I've read that the bootp daemon will not run while dhcp is running,
>does this mean the dhcp daemon on the server machine?   Or do I have to
>completely disable dhcp on the entire network?

The ISC dhcpd that ships with NetBSD does both dhcp and bootp. So, it's a
one-stop solution.

>I think that I could be having a problem there because I've been using dhcp
>to configure the tcp/ip settings for my Mac OS running computers. I just
>never had any reason to manually configure the tcp/ip settings on my mac os
>machines before.

In the dhcpd.conf, either link ip addresses to the ethernet MAC address of
the machine, or set up an ip range for unregistered clients. The latter
will most likely emulate your router's behaviour.

>So, would you suggest that I manually configure my Mac OS machines and
>disable dhcp on my router?   Also, for my boot server, which do you prefer,
>bootp or dhcp?

That depends on the clients' needs. dhcpd, as I said, can do both.

>I am having one rather persistent problem with the hn: line in my
>etc/bootparams file.

What client wants the bootparamd?

	hauke