Subject: Re: Okay, I give up...
To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/2005 19:20:17
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 01:08:42PM -0500, William Duke wrote:
<snip>

> You're right.   The bottom line is that it *will* work.   I just have to be
> a little more patient and figure out why it isn't working.   Then I have to
> make the corrective actions.

Yes, it probalby will work.  Netbooting requires several steps, all of
which have to work correctly :-)

> Okay, I'm running DHCP on my router so I'm assuming that I'll have to
> disable DHCP service on my router in order to use it on a BSD machine.   You
> can't run two different DHCP servers on the same subnet, right?

Probalby not.  Both dhcp servers will respond.  Can you configure your
router to NOT assign an address to the indy?  If so, then everything is fine.
Then the router won't assign one, and the netbsd system will.

At work we have multiple dhcp servers, only one of which has your address.
It does work.

The other choice here is to have two networks, one with the indy on it, the
other with the rest of the nodes, and some netbsd system between the two.
If you have a system with a pci bus this is a $20/Euro 20 etc ethernet
card.

> Now, I've read that the bootp daemon will not run while dhcp is running,
> does this mean the dhcp daemon on the server machine?   Or do I have to
> completely disable dhcp on the entire network?

Don't know beyond it seems that the netbsd dhcp server seems to do bootp
as well.  That is a config option.

good luck!  It's quite possible that asking on or reading the archive
of the sigmips mailing list will be profitable here.   You can't be
the first having problems netbooting an indy :-)

cheers

bruce

--
edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org