Subject: Re: netboot sgi indy from mac lciii
To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/2005 19:13:04
Hi,

With the note that I don't have a SGI Indy....

Um no.

You need to configure rarpd to map between your Indy's Ethernet address
and an IP address.

My /etc/ethers looks like:

08:00:20:89:99:ba       biasca
08:00:20:77:2a:74       corippo
08:00:20:71:4c:a5       ascona

The format should be a bit clear :-)

Once that is done you need to make sure that your Indy's IP address
is in /etc/hosts since rarpd needs that as well, then start rarpd.

Once that happens you should try netbooting your indy and see if you
get lines like:

Oct 23 15:23:59 lugano rarpd[106]: received packet on ex0
Oct 23 15:23:59 lugano rarpd[106]: 08:00:20:77:2a:74 asked; corippo replied

Without knowing how an Indy works you probably need to put some
sort of boot loader in the /tftpboot directory, not the kernel.  On
a sparc it's installation/netboot/boot.net, which then must be
renamed to be the IP address of the system in hex, ie, C0A80007.SUN4M
for ascona, which has an IP address of 192.168.0.7.  Note, once again,
that I don't have an SGI and they may boot completely differently from
a sparc..

Once that is done and tftp seems to work then you should try netbooting
the indy again and you should now see lines like:

Oct 23 15:23:59 lugano tftpd[9787]: 192.168.0.9: read request for C0A80009.SUN4M
: success

Once those two work then you can start playing with nfs and dhcpd.

cheers and good luck

bruce

--
edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org