Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2005 20:19:41

>> Have you checked out 68882 prices at places like Digi-Key?   Outrageous!
>
> Yup. I'd probably just go for a pull from something else.

I've been keeping my eyes and ears open for a machine with a socketed 68882
processor in it, but haven't had any luck thusfar.   :(

>> I want to get some first-hand accounts of running NetBSD on the 605.  I have
>> a 605 case with an LC3 logic board in it and I'm thinking that it might not
>> prove too difficult to source an actual 605 board for it.   So, how does BSD
>> perform on your 605?
>
> Well, first, I run 1.6.2 on my 605 -- I haven't seen the need to upgrade
> to -current, so keep that in mind.
>
> My 605 has a real 040 in it, not the LC040 ($25 on eBay), and 36MB total of
> RAM with an Asante LC Enet card. In this configuration, it works very well.
> I use it as a proxy, in which function it serves quite wonderfully.

Yeah, I'd have no problem running an older release if it were stable enough
to meet the desired objectives.  Being new to NetBSD, I figured I'd start
with a more recent release on the LC3, so I opted for 2.0.   I suppose my
logic was that newer releases would be more stable and compatible than
previous releases.

Besides, I didn't see any documentation anywhere that suggested sticking to
older releases for certain machines.   As a matter of fact, almost all of
the notes, documents, files, etcetera that I encountered pre-install, lead
me to believe that support for specific models began with a particular
release and continued with all subsequent releases.