Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2005 16:35:44
Hi,

Keep in mind that 1.6.2 was quite nice on 68k macs.  Even though I run
current on my powerbook 540, I've not been as happy with it.

- X takes much more disk space.  Give a 160 meg disk this is a problem.

- X takes much more memory.  Given 36 meg of memory this is a problem.

- With the big exception of ssh, it seems to run at the same speed or
slower.

I'm not sure that running 1.6.2 is so bad.

I've just booted my 540 sitting here and it's running current
from 4 Sep 2005.  It seems to run fine.  On
ftp://ftp.ziaspace.com/pub/NetBSD/m68k/current/

there is a current from 17 Sep 2005, which, while not tested
is probably ok.  You might also want to give this a shot as well.

Both of the above current builds are softfloat builds.

cheers

bruce

--
edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org