Subject: Re: free NIC
To: Jason Leane , <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2005 12:14:10
on 10/25/05 10:55 AM, Jason Leane at gethonest@shawlink.ca wrote:

> Hey there, all.
>
> I happen to have a spare LC-PDS NIC, more specifically a MacCon LC.
> Free to a good home.  Works with NetBSD, only slight issue is that it
> can't negotiate with an nway switch, so it kinda requires a hub.  Let
> me know if any of you want it.

Actually, I have several Asante MacCon LC Ethernet cards around here and
they will all negotiate with a switch.   Just to clarify, the MacCon LC
NIC's will link with a switch.   They will not, however, negotiate with a
10/100 auto-sensing switch.

So, if you are using a managed 10/100 switch and can force a port on your
switch to 10Mb, you're good to go.   If you're using a plain jane 10Mb
switch or hub, you're good to go.   If you're using a switch that
auto-detects 10Mb or 100Mb, you're gonna have problems.

The voice of experience...

William