Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
From: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2005 12:05:39
on 10/25/05 9:18 AM, Cameron Kaiser at spectre@floodgap.com wrote:

>> Is it just me or is the LCIII a really bad choice for running NetBSD?
>
> I don't thnk it's a bad one, it's just not a good one. As you mentioned, it
> doesn't have an FPU, and it has a low memory ceiling which makes hungry apps
> unhappy.

It's not too much trouble to add an FPU to the LCIII.   My LCIII has a
socket for a 68882 *and* I have several Asante MacCon LC Ethernet cards
kicking around that have FPU sockets as well.   Finding 68882 processors at
a reasonable price, that's the tough part.

Have you checked out 68882 prices at places like Digi-Key?   Outrageous!

> On the other hand, it's a very handy form factor (hence my Q605 in a LC3).

I've already asked this question in another message, but I'll repeat it here
because you appear to be the man to ask.

I want to get some first-hand accounts of running NetBSD on the 605.  I have
a 605 case with an LC3 logic board in it and I'm thinking that it might not
prove too difficult to source an actual 605 board for it.   So, how does BSD
perform on your 605?