Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
To: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2005 10:14:00
Hello,

On Tuesday, October 25, 2005, at 08:07 AM, iMac wrote:

> Is it just me or is the LCIII a really bad choice for running NetBSD?

I have netbsd 1.4 running on my LC3.. but without X. FOr lack of ram and
diskspace mainly :)

> I have NetBSD 2.1_RC6 installed on my LCIII and everything seems to work
> except for X windows.   What really has me concerned is the bootup
> messages
> though.   When I boot the LCIII into BSD, I get all sorts of weird
> messages.
> Here's a few paraphrased examples:

sadly, netbsd 2.1 seems to have problems that don't get sorted out :( I
have a hard time getting my IIci to usable state and it is not yet
there :( It used to work fine with 1.6.2 though.

So what you experience is a mix of possibly FPU problems and "2.x
effect". For the lack of fpu I would reccomend you to install the
fpu-less distribution that floats around that is thought for 040. I
don't know if it is still compiled to work on a 030 too, but it might be
an interesting option.

> What about my Quadra 950, what are the odds of me getting NetBSD
> running on
> that machine?   I've read about the problems with the IOP's, and I
> wouldn't
> be too troubled with running from a terminal.   Are there any other
> problems
> with running NetBSD on a Q950 that could make installing on that
> machine a
> pain?

well, there are scsi troubles, the q950 has two controllers and there
are device mapping problems. I wasn't ever get able to boot netbsd on my
quadra. I only could get linux 2.2 to  boot on it, nothing newer either
and even that with ridiculous performances.

It would be nice to support the IIfx and the Q950, also because after
some "hardware death" that I am affected from those are the only two
reasonable powerful 68k macs that I have currently available, however I
think that the sparse coding efforts in mac68k (if someone still codes
at all) would be better spent in getting 2.1 into shape again before
"stretching" to new platforms.

-R