Subject: Re: Command peculiarity
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/2005 12:07:43
on 10/23/05 5:51 AM, John Klos at john@ziaspace.com wrote:

> Is your DNS set up? Or at least do you have your hosts file filled in? In
> the past, commands like that (and w, for instance) would hang while trying
> to look up reverse DNS. Nowadays, something's changed, because command
> will return with a user not in the list immediately rather than waiting
> 90+ seconds for the DNS lookup to fail.
>
> John

No, I didn't have my hosts file filled in and I was using DHCP to configure
my network stuff.   I was getting a "hostname not qualified" warning during
booting, but I was just shrugging it off because I wasn't using mail or
SMTP.

Still though, the LCIII was configured the same way (dhclient=YES, hosts
file not filled in, etc.) and the users and who commands worked flawlessly
on the LCIII.

Anyway, I couldn't figure it out so I opted to reinstall/upgrade the version
of NetBSD on my Quadra 700 to 3 (Oct20 daily build from NetBSD.org) and am
having a boot problem.

init: not found
panic: no init
stopped at pid 1.1 (init) at     netbsd:cpu_Debugger0x6:    unlk    a6

Amazing huh?   My little venture into NetBSD is turning out to be quite the
journey.  I had earlier abandoned NetBSD in favour of Debian Linux (potato &
woody) but came back to NetBSD because Debian was just too slow on my 68k
Macs.   Although, Debian did offer color. ;)

To make a long story short, I'm back to using NetBSD on my 68k Macs.
Despite not supporting color, NetBSD does seem to run much faster than
Debian on the 68k Macintosh computers, so I'm sticking with BSD.