Subject: Re: Just curious
To: iMac" , "NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/2005 13:30:17
>I'm just curious as to what types of tasks you folks are using your BSD
>running 68k Macs for.   So, what are you doing with your 68k Macs?
>
>I'd really like to hear from people that are not doing mundane things like
>running them as a router or firewall.

I'd say it is still pretty mundane, but I run two of them on Quadra 610s,
both are acting as public web servers.

One hosts one domain, and the other hosts about a dozen domains (the
single domain one is a more important domain and it has more things
running on the web site, perl scripts, cgis stuff like that, so I have it
as its own computer).

It isn't anything thrilling, but it does the job and is way more stable
than the machine was when it was running Quid Pro Quo under Mac OS 8 (and
I don't have as much of a hack worry compared to running IIS on a much
newer, much faster, power hog EZ Bake Oven of a PC).

Although, I admit, both are scheduled to be decommissioned in the future.
Eventually, I'll get the time to get OS X server running and I'm going to
merge both boxes domains onto a single OS X Server machine (this is being
done to reduce space in my server closet and also because I'm now running
a few perl scripts that just run too slow on the Q610, but run fine under
OS X)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>