Subject: Command peculiarity
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/2005 12:04:46
Okay, I've just discovered a bizarre peculiarity in the NetBSD installations
that I am running:

The following commands do not work on the Quadra 700 running NetBSD 2.0:
users & who.

Both of the above commands work just peachy on my LC III that is also
running NetBSD 2.0.

Configurations of both machines:

Quadra 700:

Processor - Full 68040
Memory/Swap - 20MB of Physical RAM  (20MB Swap Partition)
Disk - One 400MB Connor Drive SCSI ID:1
OS - NetBSD 2.0 Full Installation, Traditional Install - NetBSD Kernel

LC III:

Processor - 68030 No FPU
Memory/Swap - 36MB of Physical RAM (20MB Swap Partition)
Disk - One 1GB IBM Drive SCSI ID:0
OS - NetBSD 2.0 Full Installation, Traditional Install - NetBSDSBC Kernel

Yes, I know that I should have probably made the swap partition on the LC
III at least equal to physical RAM, but I'm not running any memory intensive
applications and I'm not having or anticipating any future memory problems.

As you can see from the above system descriptions, the only real
quantifiable difference between the two installations is that the LC III is
running the SBC kernel and the Quadra is not.

It's really rather bizarre.   I'm using identical accounts on both machines
and these two commands will not even function in root on the Quadra.

Any ideas?