Subject: Error on SCSIRead(), #5
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/2005 19:51:56
Trying to install NetBSD 2.0 on an LCIII.   The system configuration is as
follows:

Macintosh LC III Computer
36 Megabytes of RAM
Farallon Etherwave NIC
13" Apple RGB Monitor
2 Gigabyte IBM HD  Model: DORS-32160  Apple Firmware 1996

Okay, here's the situation:

Hard drive is partitioned, formatted and waiting for NetBSD to be installed.
System 7.6 is installed on the single Mac HFS partition and there is one BSD
Root partition and one BSD Swap partition.

So far, everything works fabulously...

But just when you thought it was safe to walk away from the installation
process and let the thing autopilot to victory, this happens:

Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 33, fs = /
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

Okay, having said all of that, I turn to you with a dumb look on my face and
mercifully mumble the word, "Huh?"

Here's what I've done so far to figure this out:

I have repartitioned and reformatted the hard drive probably about ten times
now - same outcome.
I have attempted to install the sets from different sources - same outcome.
I have run disk first aid and silverlining disk utilities on the hard drive
- no errors or bad blocks reported.

So, to add to the initial, "Huh," I now look to you with an even dumber look
on my face and repeat the query, "Huh?"

Any help and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

William

ps.  Could it be that NetBSD just doesn't support this drive?   I'm not
holding my breath on this possibility, but I'm thoroughly and totally
befuddled.