Subject: Re: Beowulf
To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/2005 11:34:29
> Power consumption could pose a bit of a problem, but heat dissipation will
> not be much of a problem soon.   I live in Canada and we're approaching the
> winter months in the great white north.   A litle 68k cluster might help
> defray some heating costs. ;)

I started a 10 node cluster with Quadra 605 systems. The ultimate goal is
to use it to do bulk package builds for pkgsrc. Each machine takes around
18 to 20 watts, and those are watts measured at 120 volts, so the total
power of a 10 node cluster is less than most Pentium 4 systems.

I only have four of the nodes working, and I haven't started using it for
bulk package builds, but soon I hope to have half of them running 1.6.2
and the other half running 2, doing bulk builds for each. There will be a
bit of work to do to get them to build in concert, but the idea should be
applicable to other uses.

>> You don't have to have the same cpu/memory for each node if you
>> don't want.  What you will need to do is have each node look like
>> any other node in the sense that the program foo is in the path
>> and it runs.  If one node is a ppc and another is a 68k and a
>> third is a sparc you just need the program to run the same.

This is NetBSD! Cross architecture is what we're known for! Things like
process migration would, of course, require same architecture machines,
but there are (long term goals) ways around even that.

John