Subject: Re: Trouble installing on Q700
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/2005 20:40:31
> From: "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs@gwi.net>
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:30:06 -0400
> To: "William Duke" <wduke@cogeco.ca>
> Cc: <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: Trouble installing on Q700
>
>> Okay, I did a re-install of NetBSD on my Q700 and everything now
>> seems to be
>> in order.   I typed startx at the command prompt and X began to
>> boot - more
>> than an hour ago - it's still booting.   So my question now, is, how
>> long
>> does it take for a 25MHz Quadra 700 to boot into the X environment?
>>
>> I'm currently looking at a grey screen with a black "X" on the
>> screen.   Oh
>> wait, a little white window just appeared in the upper right hand
>> corner.
>> I think I'm getting close!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> William
>>

>> PS.  I don't think I'll be using the X environment in NetBSD.   At
>> least, I
>> won't be using it on my Quadra 700; boot time is ridiculous.
>
> That seems VERY excessive.  I could jump into X, running fluxbox, with
> a couple xterms in under a minute on my SE/30.  Something's
> bottlenecking on that box.  How much ram?  Is it obvious that it's
> under load?  Top show anything interesting?
>
> Joshua Coombs

RAM was the problem.   I was running with only eight megabytes of physical
RAM and 20 megabytes of swap space.  The swap partition was being heavily
taxed by the OS and the drive activity light was almost never dark.   This
afternoon, I pulled four 4MB SIMMs from my Q950 and put them in the Q700.
The four megabytes that are soldered on the board, coupled with the 16
megabytes that I added this afternoon, have really caused a significant
speed boost on the Q700.

I'm actually quite surprised at how zippy BSD is on this little 25MHz
machine. :)  It's really quite amazing, I think.

Regards,

William