Subject: Re: Trouble installing on Q700
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/2005 21:05:31

>> I want to run my Quadra 700 headless and I have already placed an alias of
>> the booter in the startup items folder, and I have configured the booter
>> application to boot on launch.   However, I have not yet figured out how to
>> configure NetBSD to accept Telnet connections.
>
> Edit /etc/inetd.conf and remove the # from in front of the telnet lines.
> Then, either reHUP inetd, or reboot.
>
> ssh is preferrable for security reasons, but it's awfully slow on older
> machines. You will probably want to rebuild sshd and friends with m68040
> optimization if you're going to use it a bit. Also, using ssh -1 might be
> preferrable.

Thanks, I will do that later this evening.   I didn't think it would be that
simple.   I think I'm expecting this whole thing to be much more difficult
than it actually is. :)

So, if I type:

vi /etc/inetd.conf

...and uncomment all of the Telnet lines, I should be able to Telnet to my
Quadra 700 from my main computer.  Cool! I was expecting something much more
involved.  :)

>> Also, I have been unable to find any information on how to configure X
>> server on my Quadra.   I did find one "how-to" site that was supposed to
>> explain how to configure X, but it just says to read the readme file that
>> came with the X sets.  I can't find a readme file that came with the X sets
>> and I can't seem to find one on the FTP sites either.
>
> Someone else will have to help you there. I've never run X on an m68k Mac
> (except under A/UX), and on Amiga, it just launches.
>
>> A rather exhaustive search of Google reveals that many 68kmac bsd sites are
>> no longer available and have disappeared.
>
> Sounds like we should start a mirror project! In the meanwhile, try
> http://www.archive.org/ to get those pages.
>
>> Oh, I did a complete BSD install on my Quadra from the get go, including the
>> X sets, games set, man pages, etc.  So I don't think I really need to
>> install anything else right away.   I'm not terribly concerned about getting
>> applications on this machine right away.   I just want to get everything
>> configured properly and familiarize myself with the OS before trying to get
>> other applications installed and working.
>
> Well, my only problem with pkgsrc when I first started using it was that
> it was too simple. I didn't understand that there was really that little
> to do.

What do you mean?  Are you saying that you expected it to be much more
difficult than it actually was?   Or are you saying that you were
disappointed with what you received and had to do a lot of additional
installs to get the configuration that you wanted?  If you meant the former,
I think I probably will agree with you; I think I'm expecting this to be
much more difficult than it will turn out to actually be.

>> Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Good luck!

Thank you.

Regards,

William