Subject: Re: Trouble installing on Q700
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/2005 20:29:47
Okay, I've managed to get NetBSD 2.0 installed on my Quadra 700.   I've been
scanning the web like a madhatter, trying to find as much configuration
information as possible.

So far, I've setup my box for networking by putting a dhclient=YES in my
rc.conf file.   I have also changed rc_configured=NO to rc_configured=YES
and added hostname="twal".

I have set a password for the root account and I've changed the name of the
toor account to willy.

I want to run my Quadra 700 headless and I have already placed an alias of
the booter in the startup items folder, and I have configured the booter
application to boot on launch.   However, I have not yet figured out how to
configure NetBSD to accept Telnet connections.

Also, I have been unable to find any information on how to configure X
server on my Quadra.   I did find one "how-to" site that was supposed to
explain how to configure X, but it just says to read the readme file that
came with the X sets.  I can't find a readme file that came with the X sets
and I can't seem to find one on the FTP sites either.

A rather exhaustive search of Google reveals that many 68kmac bsd sites are
no longer available and have disappeared.

Oh, I did a complete BSD install on my Quadra from the get go, including the
X sets, games set, man pages, etc.  So I don't think I really need to
install anything else right away.   I'm not terribly concerned about getting
applications on this machine right away.   I just want to get everything
configured properly and familiarize myself with the OS before trying to get
other applications installed and working.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.