Subject: Re: Trouble installing on Q700
To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/2005 15:12:34
Hello,

> I'm having a great deal of trouble installing NetBSD on a Quadra 700.   I
> continuously get this message, among others:
>
> "It appears that /dev/sd0a is not a BSD file system or the fsck was not
> successful.  The upgrade has been aborted. (Error number 9.)"

You say you're installing, but that messags implies that you're selecting
the upgrade menu option.

> I don't know what the problem is here.   I am using sysinst to attempt an
> FTP installation from ftp.netbsd.org.   I have used sysinst to setup the
> internal hard drive with no luck.   I have tried using Mkfs 1.47 to setup my
> hard drive, again with no success.

At any point during the sysinst installation, does sysinst do a newfs
(where lots of numbers get listed on the screen for several minutes)?

If not, then you can get a shell from systinst and do a mini-install
yourself:

newfs /dev/sd0a
mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
cd /mnt
ftp -a ftp.netbsd.org (assuming that you have your networking set up)
cd /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-1-RC5/200509182312Z/mac68k/binary/sets
(or whatever version / sets you want to get)
mget *.tgz
(exit ftp)
for set in *.tgz
do
tar xzpf $set
done
(wait a little while)
cd /mnt/dev
./MAKEDEV all

Then, you can reboot, tell the booter to boot from the normal (not
installer) kernel, then boot. It'll drop you into single user mode, where
you can then set up /etc/fstab, /etc/rc.conf, and perhaps add some network
configuration, user(s), and some way to connect (perhaps sshd=YES in
rc.conf).

If you get stuck on any of those points (especially on the newfs one),
post something here (note that port-mac68k is more appropriate than m68k).

John
--
Antivirus software on a computer is like a seatbelt in a car. A seatbelt
doesn't prevent accidents - it just minimizes the harm. There's no way