Subject: Re: Start xscreensaver without starting X?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/02/2005 21:21:05
In article <l03102800bf65db07c2d7@q650.causeuse.org>,
	Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> writes:
> At 17:22 Uhr +0000 2.10.2005, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>>I guess you still want to see the screensavers, right? So you will need
>>to run an X server. You can use startx to start an Xserver with just one
>>client, rather than a full session, by giving the client as the first
>>argument.  E.g.: "startx xscreensaver".
>
> Wouldn't he want a second client, say, an xterm?  ;)
>
> If he made that fullscreen, he'd have a console and a screen-saver...

Yes, the xterm is actually nicer than the mac68k console in at
least one way... If you execute a command with voluminous output,
the console will consume many CPU cycles pushing every character
through the kernel interface, while the xterm will just ignore
the extra output, painting only the bottom lines.  It feels much
faster. That would be pretty much the same as running "startx",
though, wouldn't it?

--
Frederick