Subject: Re: Color X Server for NetBSD 2.0.2
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Justin Fielke <jus@marinahome.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/2005 21:25:14
Well after a few days off, I decided to start from scratch, install NetBSD
1.6.2  rather then 2.0.2 and try my luck with the X Color Server at
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/contrib/Xmac68kcolor.

After linking to the downloaded Color X, I am getting the following error
when I try to start X

X: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
giving up.

xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server

xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Any thoughts? Have I missed something?

Thanks
Justin

On 22/9/05 11:36 PM, "Bruce O'Neel" <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Hmmmmm.
>
> What does nm /lib/libc.so.12 | grep gedf2
>
> show?  gedf2 is defined in libc in my system.
>
> Otherwise, I don't know.
>

> cheers
>
> bruce
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:19:23PM +1000, Justin Fielke wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> Well I didn't have any luck with just trying Xmac68_color.bz2.. So I
>> followed your steps installing all of the 1.6.2 X files... I was able to run
>> the standard X but as soon as I changed to a color X server I get the
>> following error:
>>
>> This is not a fatal error.
>> Couldn't set video mode to desired depth.
>> I gather there is no video ROM Driver for this display.
>> Screen 0 at 0x4254000, 512 by 384, 8 bpp, rowB 1024, fbbase 0xba0000.
>> X: Undefined PLT symbol "__gedf2" (symnum = 175)
>> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).^M
>>
>> I have also tried changing  the boot monitor settings to 256 or thousands of
>> colors (the max my machine can display  in mac OS) without any luck.
>> I just wonder if it is a problem because I have to set the machine ID to 92
>> (for a LC575 with 512 by 384) ie LC575 in a color classic in order to get
>> NetBSD to boot.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> On 22/9/05 6:19 PM, "Bruce O'Neel" <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> (Keep in mind that this is all from memory).
>>>
>>> Ok, you can try the Xmac68k_color.bz2 server from ftp.netbsd.org.
>>> Put it in /usr/X11R6/bin and then make the link from /usr/X11R6/bin/X to the
>>> Xmac68k_color.
>>>
>>> My memory says that this works ok for the 1.6 series and doesn't work for
>>> the
>>> 2.0 series since mac68k changed to XFree.  If X works for you then all is