Subject: Quadra 700 & NewerTech 50 MHz overdrive (7QD-C)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Diggs <kevdig@hypersurf.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/2005 12:57:50
Hi,

	I put a 50 MHz 68040 overdrive in my Q700 which is running NetBSD
1.6.1. Now a -O2 compile for a certain program, an updated version of
maze, results in a program that won't run. An O1 version runs fine. If I
put the 25 MHz 040 back in it creates a runnable binary with O2
(runnable even with the overdrive). Also, if I create .s O2 files (i.e.
compile with -S) I DON'T get the same file from one run to the next
(with the overdrive)??? System seems to run fine with the overdrive
otherwise. System has a 4G IBM disk and 68M of RAM and max VRAM. I also
tried running with NetBSD allowed to use 20M of RAM. Made no difference.

	My clock speed code patch lists the clock speed as:

[kevdig@Quadra700 maze]$ sysctl hw.cpu_clock
hw.cpu_clock = 50077148

The old cpu showed 2504357. The bogomazes increase from 11.6 to 20.0.

	Should I perform an exorcism?

					kevin

P.S.:  I have made some tweaks to the kernel in the delay routine to
compute the clock speed and to add 2 new sysctl keys. Could I have
screwed something that affects O2 compiles?