Subject: Re: serious problems with netbsd-3
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/2005 10:50:45
Hello,

On Thursday, August 18, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Bruce O'Neel wrote:

> In general I find that NetBSD-current is worse than 2.0 in the sense
> that I get pretty consistant MMU traps if I'm not running X.  It seems
> that console scrolling and my mac have some disagreement.  OTOH, it
> could be something else.
hmm... but at least you get a console login ?

> Riccardo, is it possible for you to cross build on another system?

I don't have any other 68k system suitable for netbsd. My q840 died with
a bad PSU. I have it here in the hope of finding one.
I then have a q950 and a IIfx but we all know... I have a plain MacII.
But it has only 8 mb of ram (anybody has ram for this old beast? it is
very pricky about what it accepts and what not...) and also it has a
working 1.6.1 install and given the latest happenings I am weary to try
something on it. But I have an external disk and so I could try to give
it a spin... Especially if the sysinst stuff gets fixed.
I have a MacPPC runing netbsd, but it is very unstable since I upgraded
the CPU :(

> Does someone else have an 030 they can try this on?
>
> If you want I can put my softfloat builds up someplace for you to
> download and try.
well.. technically.. I have a LC3 ! it has no fpu (if I could find one I
would be happy). But since it lacks an eth card and has a small disk.. I
slapped once netbsd 1.4 on it for fun on the small disk and use it only
rarely for demos etc. It is not "online".

> It is my worry that few enough people will keep mac68k or other m68k
> systems running that NetBSD will become unusable just because of lack
> of testing.

I'll try my best... but my 68k hardware "died" or got unproductive
somehow except for one box which I kept stable and the IIci run openbsd
for a long time, till they dropped 68030 support !

I have now a spare disk I can use for "testing" if it is needed, I hope
to give my best...

To sum up I have some more or less complete 68k systems that could need
some additional hardware to be useful and I could test netbsd on them to
see how they do. I also have an old powerbook I have netbsd on, but it
has only 4 mb of ram as most PBs at the time and even a squeezed 68k
kernel gives troubles...
I have also a 165 or such PB which a busted mainboard... (well the dc
regulator system on it at least.. I wasn't able to repair it).

Getting 68k parts in italy is very difficult. Most people just throw
them away for being useless... pr ask insanely high prices.

FOr anybody... I have a Mac IIsi with NuBUS card and FPU.. but a
ridiculous amount of ram (5mb?) and a small disk. However I can give it
to anyone who picks it up or pays for the shipping.

cheers,