Subject: Re: serious problems with netbsd-3
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/2005 12:20:41
On 8/18/05, Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Ouch.  That's not good.
>=20
> To give another data point.
>=20
> I weekly grab the NetBSD-current tar files (I'm lazy) and build that
> for my Powerbook 540 (LC040) with MKSOFTFLOAT=3Dyes and a replaced ams.c
> so that the mouse works correctly.  In general this works ok though
> the most recent build I have is from the end of June.  The build from
> this past weekend would be ok except I forgot to patch ams.c
>=20
> In general I find that NetBSD-current is worse than 2.0 in the sense
> that I get pretty consistant MMU traps if I'm not running X.  It seems
> that console scrolling and my mac have some disagreement.  OTOH, it
> could be something else.
>=20
> Riccardo, is it possible for you to cross build on another system?
> Does someone else have an 030 they can try this on?

Last time I tried (can't remember exactly when, but probably was around
May or so), NetBSD-current was broken on my Performa 630 with the
68LC040 chip, spitting MMU traps during boot.  I built the release with
MKSOFTFLOAT=3Dyes.

NetBSD 2.0 worked surprisingly well.  (Also built by me, using
MKSOFTFLOAT=3Dyes obviously.)

I'd blame the microprocessor if I had never got NetBSD working on that
machine, but given that 2.0 worked fine, I'm not so sure it is its fault.

--=20
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/