Subject: Re: hang during mouse detect?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/20/2005 20:04:26
[PowerBook hang during boot of 1.4.2 kernel at...]
>> kbd0 at adb0 addr 2: PowerBook keyboard
>> ms0 at adb0 addr 3:
> Did you touch the mouse (trackball) during boot?

No - or at least not until multiple seconds into the hang.

> But, to repeat myself: Keep your hands off the mouse during boot.

I'll try again, making certain to not touch anything once the booter
starts its countdown.

> Downloading and booting a 1.6 GENERIC kernel should show you.

I was hoping to avoid that.  But I now have tried a 1.4T GENERIC
kernel, and it uses different device names but hangs at the analogous
point:

fpu0 at mainbus0 (emulator)
adb0 (direct, PowerBook): 2 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: PowerBook keyboard
wskbd0 at akbd0
ams0 at adb0 addr 3:

so I guess I'll shelve it until I collect the round tuits to try a 1.6
kernel and see what it does.

I do find it slightly suspicious that adb0 says "2 targets" and then
tries to find devices at three different "addr"s, but that could be
nothing but my ignorance of ADB.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign