Subject: netbsd-3 snapshot: big problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/2005 13:14:31
Hey,

since I failed to get a usable box ith the netbsd 2.0.2 release I
thought that trying the current netbsd-3 snapshot could do no damage.

But it is really in bad, bad shape.

My box is a a MacIIci, 72MBytes of ram and a 2Gb disk. I installed
directly there instead than on my test disk...

I got the snapshot from netbsd-daily, netbsd-3

1. the sysint procedure is still broken with regard to newfs and mount
to /targetroot. I used the usual trick

2. the kernel seems to have problems, if the sysinst wasn't successful
or got restarted for some reason, it would kill itself giving usually no
space left on disk message and a reboot from shell causes a kernel
panic. Sysinst has to go in one single step, restarting from the
beginning for any reason will cause deep trouble. I assume kernel
problems.

3. most of the packages didn't even uncompress properly! sometimes pax
returns a "killed by signal" but most often the console gets swamped
with tar and checksum errors. this with various of the .tgz (man, etc, X
packages, comp...). I didn't delete the packages.

I ignored the errors, had it continue so that it built devices and I
could reboot, indeed the system reboots! Miracle! But X11 will fail for
example due to broken library symbols (I guess indeed that the tars
weren't uncompressed properly)

I tried to uncompress comp.tgz again now from the running system and it
appeared again that the tar was invalid, after some uncompressing it
started to search repeatedly for new headers (typical corrupted tars).
Now it is a question if the .tgz are corrupted, the tar program itself
or the kernel...

-R