Subject: Re: How to differentiate a full 68040 from an LC one?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/2005 12:33:08
>Yeah, I know... but the problem is that the number is _under_ the
>heatsink, and the seller won't remove it.

Ahh, sorry, missed that part.

Ok, looking at the ones I have loose right now, it looks like the LC040
has a smaller gold center square (when looking at the bottom).

The Full 040 the gold center lines up with the 4th row of pins from the
outside of the chip counting in (the first row that is not complete
across the chip). The LC 040 the gold center lines up with the 5th row of
pins (there is space equal to a full row of pins, so you have the 3 full
rows, then one segmented row, then the next segmented row lines up with
the border to the gold center).

Does that makes sense?

Also, this is only going off the ones I have loose (2 LC's and 3 full),
so I can't be sure it applies to all 040 chips. You can check your LC040
chip and see if it has the smaller center. If it does, then hopefully
this visual difference holds true for all 040 chips.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>