Subject: Re: sysint problems remain in snapshots
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2005 09:21:29
Hey,

On Monday, May 16, 2005, at 01:08 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> Well, the corresponding PR
> (http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=29049) is still
> open -- like many others against sysinst...  =8/

well, I consider this bad. Essentially, for now I'm unable to install
netbsd 2. I remember that sysinst for 1.6.2 was a bit buggy, but at the
end I convinced it to work.

My last attempt was:
- partition
- format
- put the drive in a mac with more ram so that no swap is needed
- mount sd0a on /mnt
- create /mnt/usr/INSTALL
- relaunch the installation

indeed, on 2.0.2 I get as far as starting to download the packages. I
select /mnt/usr/INSTALL as the download directory, but downloading the
first file fails after 300k saying the disk is full. In the mounted
partition, there are no files.

I think I tried everything now apart from resorting back to the macos
based installer which I don't want. It is a pain but I also need enough
diskspace to hold the tarballs, meaning I need an external HD and it is
_dog slow_ admitted you don't get scsi problems during the process.

I Installed 2.0.2 on sparc and it worked fine with sysinst. Are the
various sysinst versions so different? I thought that the newfs, swapon,
mont commands were all the same for the platforms and that the
differences between the sysinst were minimal.

-R