Subject: sysynst problems on a MacII
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/2005 08:52:36
Hey all,

as you tickled me about trying 2.0.2 on my odldie but goldie MacII... I
looked around and found a spare HD. 350MB apple quantum (almost the same
drive I already used for netbsd 1.6 just smaller) so I went to try an
installation! SO I will also see how isk space NetBSD occupies now.

The first attempt failed early, at the penguin boot: the booter
uncompressed the kernel, gave some warnings about interrupts, printed
the alst line but never got out of MacOS, the system remained in a
frozen state where most of the mac screen was still visible (the rest
white) and the mouse would move.

With the second attempt I left the screen at 256 colors instead of
switching to 1bit. (I have an original Spectrum card from Supermac...
1987 power like the rest of the box). This time it booted! nice to see
the small font on a hi-res screen (the spectrum works at 60hz and a
little smaller resolution than 1024x768, IIRC). I went into the
installer (dmesg looked fine) and tried to partition the remaining empty
space of the disk. The procedure was simple: I split the remaining free
space in a small swap partition and the rest root&usr. Unfortunately at
the next step fsck fails complaining that there is no valid superblock!
To be honest I haven't seen the drive being formatted or if, it was
unexpectedly fast. Something is wrong with sysinst ?

Cheers,
    Riccardo