Subject: Re: failed to boot sysninst
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/2005 16:17:10
At 0:09 Uhr +0200 7.5.2005, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>I decided to give netbsd 2.02 a try on my macIIci, [...]
>
>The MacIIci has obviously FPU, Ethernet and I use an NuBUS videocard, I
>have an Apple DSisplay card, but have some supermac cards too [...]
>
>I start the sysinst from booter 2.0 using the netbsd-install kernel. The
>kernel starts booting and reports various hardware, detects the md0 disk
>with ffs filesystem and then fails dropping into the debugger saying
>that there is no console to open.

Can you boot to serial console (tip(1) on a NetBSD box, or ZTerm on a
Macintosh), and provide the relevant parts of the boot log?

>I tried with another videocard, but I
>get the same problem. Keyboard works inside the debugger. ANy ideas ?

I just booted the 2.0.2 INSTALLSBC kernel here on an SE/30 and a Quadra 650.

The SE/30 "just worked".

The Quadra gave a more complex picture...

Normally running System 7.6.1, it has a MacPicasso 320 Nubus card which
runs at 1280x1024x16bpp as my primary screen. The onboard video is usually
off.

The first attempt to boot the install kernel ended up in a white screen, so
I attached a serial console. Booting to that worked just fine.

Next, I attached my TFT's second input to internal video (1152x870x8bpp)
"just to be sure", and switched the booter to "serial boot echo". This
time, I got output on the primary screen as well as the serial terminal,
but then it asked me on "serial boot echo" (!) for the terminal type and
sent sysinst's output there. There's something wrong here...

Looking at the boot log:

[...]
obio0 at mainbus0
esp0 at obio0 (quick): address 0x8e7000: NCR53C96, 16MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

-- "quick"? This is a bit weird, since the box runs at 40 MHz.

[...]
intvid0 at obio0 @ f9000080: DAFB video subsystem, monitor sense 7
intvid0: 1280 x 1024, monochrome
macfb0 at intvid0
wsdisplay0 at macfb0 (kbdmux ignored)

-- Note it gets the resolution wrong for intvid0 which actually runs at
1152x870. What it picks is actually the Nubus video card's resolution.

[...]
nubus0 at mainbus0
macvid0 at nubus0 slot c: Mac Picasso
macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x102 -- Not installing interrupt routine.
macvid0: 640 x 480, 256 color
macfb1 at macvid0
wsdisplay at macfb1 not configured

-- Yeah, right. The "found" resolution matches neither of the two adapters,
although it manages to get the bit depth right, and never mind it just
tells me on the Nubus card that it cannot recognize...

[...]
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IBM, DCAS-34330, S65A> disk fixed
sd0: 4134 MB, 8205 cyl, 6 head, 171 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8467200 sectors
sd0: sync (248.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (4.032MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing
cd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8004, 1.0p> cdrom
removable
cd0: sync (500.00ns offset 8), 8-bit (2.000MB/s) transfers

-- See above - my Quadra 700 probes its disk with 6.25 MHz transfers.

Finally, booting without anything serial ended up in a "no console" panic,
properly displayed on the primary screen (MacPicasso), with working
keyboard. This seems to match your situation.

>PS: how does netbsd 2.0.2 compare with 1.6 on 68k ? I read of quite some
>rpoblems in this list about it, stabilty and memory problems...

I can add IP corruption (udp & tcp NFS, rsh, ssh) on netbsd-2 and netbsd-3
kernels that I don't see on 1.5.3. Can't say anything about netbsd-1-6,
since I don't use that anywhere.

>How does it compare with memory usage and CPU speed? did the kernel get
>fatter? and the system size?

For quite some time, I have meant to set up netbsd-1-5, netbsd-1-6,
netbsd-2 and netbsd-3 mac68k systems and run benchmarks on them... I'd
expect the results to be "interesting".

>I ask because I have a historic original MacII which runs 1.6 quite fine
>(apart the infamous "poweroff" problem). It has ony 8mb of ram (can't
>find suitable simms...) and even does X ! the speed with X is slow, but
>it works. When used under console it is still amazing what a 16Mhz box
>can do. I wonder if I could expect better or worse performance with
>2.0.2 on this limited box.

Well, try it, and tell us - but keep a backup of the old installation
around.  ;)

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign