Subject: Re: I'm going with netBSd over OpenBSD now
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/2005 10:27:11
f f wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that OpenBSD is just too
> unsupportive, and buggy, and I will erase the
> partition and install NetBSD. Any tips for doing so?
> What's the minimum partition size I should use for a
> good, functioning system?
> Also, OpenBSD took me (see my last message) about 12
> to 15 HOURS. NetBSD only takes about 5. I've been
> trying to load a unix variant on a IICX for a long
> time, so install speed is a plus.
> Also, hat version on NetBSD do you reccommend for a
> IICX? (8mb ram)

I agree with the others, increase RAM if you can.  You can find old SCSI
drives for nearly free now (Quadras are giveaways, and they often have
500-1000 MB drives) so you should be able to get a decent HD too.  But
you should still be able to install the essential stuff on a 200MB drive
with some to spare.

I've installed several times on my SE/30, and the basic install only
takes 2-3 hours IIRC.  Total time depends on what extras you decide to
install and the speed of your install media.  I used a 12x CD and I've
got a big (9GB) disk and decent (80MB) RAM, so maybe that helped.

Tim
--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org