Subject: Re: I'm going with netBSd over OpenBSD now
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/2005 10:16:59
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Bruce O'Neel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run NetBSD 2.0 on a system with a 5 meg hfs partition,
> 5 meg swap, and the rest of a 160 meg disk for /.
>
> Pretty much everything fits (including X) but I
> have to remove most of the .a files from the comp.tgz install
> and I don't install games or man.  That said I have
> 36 meg of memory so with 8 meg you might need a bigger swap
> partition.  Install on my 68040 powerbook takes about
> an hour over NFS.
>
> I don't btw, know how well the 8 meg will work.  Can
> you expand the memory?

Indeed 8 megs is pretty brutal, especially for the install. In order to
install I had to enable swap from the utility menu shell before running
the installer.

I DID manage to get it installed, but it was a royal pain, and I do not
recall the details.

This computer acts purely as a djbdns nameserver, for which is runs great.
I can't do much else with it, though. You might google for "netbsd VM
tuning guide" and tweak some sysctl vars as well. I can lookup my
sysctl.conf if you'd like.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------